Do you find yourself wishing for straighter teeth? Maybe you have a few crooked teeth or gaps that you’d like to correct to improve your smile. Or perhaps your dentist has recommended braces due to some alignment issues that may be causing damage to your teeth or making it more difficult to keep your teeth clean.
Whatever the reason, you have probably wondered whether getting braces as an adult is really the right decision. Maybe you’re unsure about the look or you don’t know whether or not they are worth the cost. Here are some things to consider to help you decide if adult braces are right for you.
Reasons Adults Get Braces
There are a number of reasons adults choose to get braces, and for many it’s a combination of different reasons, such as:
- Improve your smile. If you’ve ever looked at a picture of yourself and felt dissatisfied with your smile or critiqued your teeth in the mirror, you know what an effect it can have on your overall self-image. Your smile is a significant part of the first impression you make on other people, so you want it to be a positive one.
- Straighten misaligned teeth. Beyond cosmetic reasons, if your teeth are misaligned it can cause all sorts of problems from premature wear to more serious damage to your teeth. Crowded teeth can cause problems beneath the gum line and in the jaw. Straightening your teeth will alleviate these issues and more.
- Correct bite problems. A misaligned bite pattern can cause many of the same issues as misaligned teeth as well as some additional problems. Whether you have an overbite, underbite, or crossbite, any of these problems can cause jaw pain and damage to the teeth among other issues.
- Make it easier to keep teeth clean. Misaligned teeth can be hard to keep clean because your toothbrush may not be able to reach all of the surface area of each tooth. Crowded teeth or gaps between your teeth can make it easier for food to get stuck between the teeth and make it more difficult to clear out.
If any of these situations apply to you, it would be in your best interest to get braces. Braces can improve jaw pain and headaches, give you a terrific smile, and help you to preserve your teeth for the rest of your life.
Worried About the Look of Braces? Here’s Why You Don’t Need to Be
Sadly, many adults forgo the benefits of braces because they are worried about how they will look with braces on their teeth. But the good news is that advancements in technology have led to some options that are less noticeable. Some alternatives to traditional metal braces include:
- Clear Braces. Clear braces are made of ceramic and are the same color as your teeth so that they are barely noticeable. However the archwire that links the brackets together is still metal and visible, so they are not 100% clear. Still, they are much more subtle than metal braces.
- Invisalign. Consisting of clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth, Invisalign is the least noticeable option for teeth alignment. Virtually invisible, the clear aligners are digitally designed to fit snugly on the teeth. One major advantage to Invisalign over traditional metal or clear braces is that they are removable for eating and oral care.
Thinking Adult Braces May Be Right for You?
If you’re interested in getting braces, Andover Orthodontics offers complete orthodontic services for patients of all ages. Metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign are all offered at our office so that you can choose the option that is best for you. When you come to Andover Orthodontics, we will evaluate the current state of your teeth and make a recommendation for care that will give you the best overall results. Then you can decide if you’re ready to undergo the recommended plan for orthodontic care.